Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Come Close Again

By December 9, 2021June 16th, 2022No Comments

As reported by Tom Dickson




Garnock travelled to Bishopbriggs for their ninth league to meet Allan Glen’s Rugby – the only side so far to have lowered the club’s colours this season. This game marked the start of the second half of a Covid interrupted season.

The game kicked off under dull and overcast conditions but the playing surface was in remarkable condition considering the weather during the preceding days.    Allen Glen’s kicked off but conceded a scrum for the ball not going 10 metres. On winning the first scrum, Garnock drove forward towards the home try line. They pressed closer but the Glen’s defence held strong.

In the sixth minute Garnock went ahead when Keir Walker converted a penalty awarded by the referee as Allan Glen’s forwards were deemed offside. The kick from 30 metres dissected the posts to make the score 0-3.

Garnock continued to take the game towards the Glen’s half from the restart but could not breach staunch defence, Both sides were adventurous when in possession but the covering sound.

At this stage Garnock were stronger in the scrummage and loose play with the home forwards dominating the lineouts.

In the 17th minute Allan Glen’s went ahead after a series of strong runs from their pacy threequarters to score in front of the posts. The conversion made the score 7-3 to the delight of the home support.

Play continued to ebb and flow but neither side could find a way past the strong tackling defences.

With 25 minutes played Garnock were reduced to 14 when their lock forward received a yellow card.

In the best handling movement of the game so-far the Allan Glen’s winger found enough space to score a well-worked try. The conversion was missed to put Glen’s 12-3 in front after 30 minutes.

The remainder of the half was played with both sides looking for more points. Garnock were awarded another penalty with 35 minutes on the stopwatch near the Glen’s 10 metre line. Again, Walker bisected the posts to pull the score back to 12-6.

On the stroke of halftime Glen’s Henderson pushed the score back to the nine -point difference as he converted a penalty awarded for handling in a scrummage. The half closed at 15-6 to the home side.

The second half started in similar vein to the first. The two top teams in the league were prepared to run the ball at every opportunity and to battle for every scrap of possession. This made exciting spectating for the viewing public.

Garnock won a penalty at half way, kicked to touch, won the resulting lineout and drove towards the Glens try line to release Lewis McGeachy who touched down near the posts. With 44 minutes played the score became close at 15 -13.

The play seemed to settle down with all the action concentrated around the half way line. Notable during this period was the kicking by both sides in defence and attack.

Shortly thereafter Garnock were again pressing near the Glens 22 and No8 , Ross Brocket was released down the blindside.The Garnock mand broke through a couple of tackles to score in the corner. The conversion was narrowly wide taking the score to 18-15

Allan Glen’s began to exert the strength in their back division and were rewarded with another converted penalty to tie the game at 18 – 18 after 53 minutes play.

Play continued to be played in an open manner with Garnock still edging the set scrums but Glen’s looking the better side in attack. They put sustained pressure inside the Garnock 22 area and were rewarded when the referee deemed that a high tackle as the Glen’s winger was about to score warranted a penalty try.

This pushed the score to 25- 18 with a minute to go. From the restart Garnock won a scrum for a knock on but the full-time whistle sounded the end of a pulsating match at 25-18 to Allan Glen’s and maintained their unbeaten record.

By finishing within seven points of their opponents Garnock secured a Losing Score point.

Next Saturday the 11th December, Garnock play East Kilbride at Lochshore with a 2 o’clock kick-off.