Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Exit National Cup In Narrow Defeat to Kirkcaldy

By March 10, 2024No Comments

This weekend Garnock welcomed National 2 side Kirkcaldy to Lochshore in the first round of the National Cup. Unfortunately due to illness, injury and unavailability Garnock were short of a number of regulars however those who came into the side were experienced first team players.


The game kicked off with Garnock playing away from the hub with a fresh breeze at their backs. Earlier in the week in the Fife press the Kirkcaldy coach had said ” We will try and apply some pressure at the start of the game and try and put our foot down” The home side we determined not to let this happen and started the match with vigour.


The first score of the half came from a Garnock lineout deep in the visitors 22. The ball was secured and the pack drove over with Alan Miller getting the score. Conversion wide 5-0.


Garnock were using the advantage of the breeze well and were able to contain any attacks by the visitors.With 20 minutes gone Garnock were awarded a penalty 30m out and this was slotted by Keir Walker 8-0.  From the restart Garnock again worked their way downfield and into the 22. After a spell of pressure on the visitors line the ball was released to the backs and stand-off Keir Walker spotted a gap to score . Conversion good 15-0


The remainder of the half was relatively even however one scything break from Garnock scrum-half Jared Reekie took play from halfway to the visitors line. Garnock were awarded a penalty and kicked to touch however the lineout was lost and Kirkcaldy cleared their lines.


Following back to back penalties against the home side Garnock were pegged back into their 22 and Jared Reekie was shown a yellow card. With the home side down to 14 Kirkcaldy took advantage and following a number of tap penalties their big forwards eventually crashed over between the posts. Conv good 15-7 at half-time.


The first 40 minutes had been positive for the home side however the opening 20 minutes of the second half proved to be their downfall. With the wind at their backs and their big ball carriers beginning to dominate Kirkcaldy took total control and added four tries in succession three of which were converted taking the score to 15-33.  This reverse was due to some excellent play by the visitors and some poor defence by the home side.


At this point it appeared that the match was effectively over as a contest however Garnock had other ideas and redoubled their efforts to get back into the game. With play in midfield flanker Stuart Wilson secured a turnover and big No8 Ross Brocket picked at the back of the ruck , burst through the defensive line before covering the final 40m to score. Con good 22-33


With 5 minutes to go Garnock were again in the visitors 22 and the forwards battered the line but were kept at bay by strong defence from the visitors. The ball was then swung wide and replacement winger, Sam Wynn, was able to touch down in the corner. Conversion from wide out was good 29-33


The restart was secured by Garnock deep in their own half and they set about trying to work their way upfield . They made it to the half way before Kirkcaldy secured a turnover at a maul and their stand off kicked the ball out to bring the final whistle


This was a decent performance by the home side against a team sitting two leagues above them and there were plenty of positives to take from the game.


Garnock’s next fixture is a return to league action on 23rd March at home v Greenock Wanderers


Garnock squad Shiells, C Wilson, Chapman, A Miller, D Miller, Watson, S Wilson, Brocket, Reekie, Walker, Anderson, Dominy, McIntosh, Woods, Neill  Reps McDermott, Ruxton, Craig, Armstrong, Wynn