Club News

Garnock In Big Win Against Strathendrick

By October 8, 2021June 16th, 2022No Comments

Garnock in Big Win Against Strathendrick.


As reported by Tom Dickson


Garnock welcomed Strathendrick Rugby Club to Lochshore on Saturday last but the home squad were looking to retain their position as league leaders at the end of the game. This they did emphatically by scoring ten tries and converting six of them in their 62 – 10 victory.


Garnock kicked off and the initial exchanges indicated that the game would be well contested. The visitors showed they were willing to run the ball at the home defence but their forwards were out coming out second best at the set plays.

Garnock opened their scoring in the 12th minute when Craig Williams was released after Garnock had won a scrum against the head to touch down at the posts. His conversion saw the scoreboard read 7 – 0.


Again, play settled down in the pouring rainy conditions but Garnock were beginning to apply their pressure at the set plays and at the breakdowns. From a lineout at Strathendrick’s 22 metre line the ball was shipped to the backs and Jared Reekie finished off the  move with a silky run to score near the touchline. The difficult conversion was missed and Garnock led 12 – 0 after 24 minutes.

Their third try followed when Garnock won the ball in mid-field. Keir Walker made the break and set up Ewan Perry who evaded the cover tacklers to score near the posts. Williams converted to push the score to 19 – 0 after 28 minutes.


Strathendrick continued to strive to contain the Garnock pressure and were rewarded when awarded a penalty 35 metres out. Their standoff, Kyle Campbell, duly converted to get them on the scoreboard at 19 – 3.


With half time approaching Garnock went on the offensive looking for the Bonus Point try. From a scrum well inside the visitor’s half, Luke Wynn charged his way towards the scoring area bursting through several tackles to score at the posts and, with Williams converting, Garnock went in at halftime leading 26 – 3.


In the third minute of the second half Ross Brocket rounded off a move which involved most of the Garnock forwards to score at the posts and with the conversion a formality Williams made the score 33 – 3.

At this point Garnock had most of the play and territorial possession and added a further two tries from Jarod Reekie after 52 minutes and Luke Wynn after 62 minutes to bring their score to 43 – 3.


Strathendrick were losing and were starved of decent ball but they showed that they still were willing to attack when the chance was offered. They won the ball near their own 22 metre line, fed it out to their left winger, Findlay Kay. He sprinted up very close to the touchline, but keeping to the field of play and evading the cover, scored at the posts. The conversion was goaled by Campbell and the scoreboard reflected the score at 43 – 10 after 64 minutes.This score saw the effort from both sides increase and the game was easy on the spectators’ eyes.


With the heavy rain slackening off and Garnock looking to finish on a high they scored a further three tries.

The first came from Ross Brocket who scored at the posts after another fine handling movement by the Garnock backs. Williams converted the kick.

The second came when Luke Wynn out-paced the cover defence to score at the posts and the score moved on to 55 -10.

The final try was scored by the hard-working Connor Wilson to make the final score 62 – 10 in Garnock’s favour.


This was a competent display by all the Garnock squad. They had a game plan and they stuck to it and with the Bonus Point win they remain league leaders for another week.


The Garnock Squad was:- Alan Miller, Connor Wilson, Fraser Miller, Lewis McGeachy, Jonny Watson, Rory Dominy, David R Miller, Ross Brocket, Keir Walker, Per Jacobson, Ewan Perry, Rory Walker, Jared Reekie, Tony Woods, Craig Williams, Luke Wynn, Richard O’Neil, Joe Chapman and James Wright