Club NewsMatch Reports


By January 30, 2020June 16th, 2022No Comments

Garnock Lose at Castle Douglas.

As reported by Tom Dickson

Last Saturday (25th January) Garnock travelled to Castle Douglas to take on the local Stewartry Rugby squad for their return league encounter.

Garnock welcomed back Logan Ferguson and Declan Goldie to the squad with the remainder being along normal lines.

Stewartry kicked off in wet and windy conditions and for the first few minutes looked much the better side. Only some determined defence and the boot of Rory Walker stopped the homesters from scoring.

Stewartry went ahead in the sixth minute when their hooker spied a gap and sprinted through to score at the posts. With the easy kick converted the scoreboard showed a score of 7 – 0.

This reversal seemed to spur on the visitors and they began to win the lineouts through Jonny Watson and Ross Johnston. From one such lineout the forwards drove 20 metres to release McGeachy who was stopped close to the Stewartry try line.

In the 20th minute Garnock drew level. From a penalty award 35 metres from the try line, Walker elected to kick to touch. With the lineout won the forwards drove towards their goal. At the right moment the ball was fed back and captain Matt Shiells powered his way over. Keir Walker’s kick moved the score to 7 points each.

With half time looming, Stewartry were awarded a penalty. It was taken quickly and again the speed of the centre partnership resulted in a try in the corner. The conversion made the half time score – Stewartry 14pts Garnock 7.

The second half standard did not match the first but Garnock continued to play their open brand of rugby in trying to break down the home defence.

The majority of play was confined to the central portion of the playing surface and, with both defences able to cope with what was presented to them, neither side looked like adding to the score.

Penalties were being awarded quite regularly but neither side elected to attempt converting them.

In the 65th minute Garnock seemed to have scored a try but it was disallowed as the referee did not see the grounding.

With 12 minutes remaining, Garnock were applying pressure in the Stewartry 22. The home team were awarded a scrum however under pressure the ball was dropped over the try line allowing Keir Walker to fall on the ball for the score.

The difficult kick drifted wide and the score became 14-12 in Stewartry’s favour.

The remainder of the game saw Garnock with most of the possession but the home defence held out to gain a two-point victory.

With the Six Nations Championship starting next Saturday (1st February) and Scotland visiting Ireland, Garnock have no game. Their next scheduled league game is on February 15th against Cambuslang at Lochshore with a 3 o’clock kick off.