Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Rack Up 50

By February 26, 2023No Comments

On Saturday Garnock hosted old foes Carrick in yet another Ayrshire derby. This is hardly surprising with 50% of West 1 teams coming from Ayrshire.


The game kicked off in fine overhead and underfoot conditions.  Garnock were on the front foot from the start and scored an early try from Jared Reekie following a fine handling move from the backs. Conversion wide 5-0


Not to be outdone Carrick launched a series of attacks from the restart which were repelled by the home side.  It was apparent that Carrick had come to play and their form belied their league position.


Garnock added further to their tally when after a series of phases in the Carrick 22 second row Lewis McGeachy crashed over. Successful conversion 12-0


It was clear that the big Garnock pack had the upper hand in the set pieces and that when released with quality ball their backline looked dangerous. The next score came following a lineout on the Carrick 10m line. The home packed won the set piece drove forward and then released the backs. A fine move saw left winger Jared Reekie released down the right  The winger outpaced the defence to score his second of the day. Conversion good 19-0


Despite the scoreline the game was not completely one-sided and Carrick threatened the Garnock 22 on a number of occasions. On one such occasion they were awarded a penalty just outside the 22 and elected to kick for goal. The successful attempt brought the score to 19-3


With 25 minutes gone Garnock secured the try bonus point. A period of pressure around the Carrick 22 released the backs and found Lewis McGeachy loitering with intent out wide. The big forward was able to beat the final defender and score in the corner . Conversion wide 24-3.


The next score was probably the best of the half. With play taking place around the Carrick 10m line the Garnock backs launched a rehearsed move and outside centre Ross McCann carved through the visitors defence and cruised the 40m to the line. Conversion successful 31-3


With time in the first half running out indiscipline by Garnock resulted in Carrick being able to work their way upfield through a series of penalties. From a 5m lineout they attacked the line through their forwards. Following a series of short range pick and drives they eventually crossed the line. Conversion successful 31-10


In truth the second half was a scrappy affair with both sides giving away penalties on a regular basis and the game lacked any real flow. The visitors found it difficult to make any real headway against the Garnock defence and in the main kicked for territory .


The first 20 minutes of the half were played primarily between the 22m lines with neither side threatening to score. From a scrum 30m out No 8 Luke Wynn picked up the ball and made ground before releasing scum-half , Adam McGowan with a perfectly timed pass. The youngster darted through the defence to score beside the posts. Conversion successful 38-10


Five minutes later Garnock added to their scoreline . Following a passage of play in the Carrick 22 the visitors were awarded a defensive scrum. The Garnock pack drove the visitors off the ball and wing forward Stuart Wilson collected the ball and covered the final 10m to score. Conversion successful 45-10


The final score of the match came 5 minutes from full time. Garnock were once again attacking in the Carrick half and simple passing in the backs released Jared Reekie out wide. The winger outpaced the defence to score in the corner and complete his hat-trick. Conversion missed 50-10


This was a comfortable win for the home side however there is room for improvement and the boys have played significantly better on most occasions this season.


Garnock now have a break before their penultimate league fixture against East Kilbride at Lochshore on Saturday 25th March