Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Retain Gunn Cup In Monsoon Conditions

By January 15, 2023No Comments

Garnock hosted Lenzie for their first home fixture of 2023 .The match was to be played for the Gunn Cup , the annual challenge between the two sides.  The visitors were on a good run of form having won their previous four league fixtures including an impressive victory over Cumnock.


Following significant rainfall during the week and on the day the underfoot (and for long periods overhead ) conditions were very wet and Garnock kicked off defending the deep end. Despite the conditions it quickly became apparent that both sides were going to try and handle the ball and not only rely on the boot.


The only points of the first half came after 15 minutes. Following good handling by the Garnock backs Jared Reekie was released toward the line but was tackled just short. After a couple of pick and drives the ball was fed down the blindside to Lewis McGeachy who powered over. The conversion was missed 5-0


As the half drew to a close Lenzie were very much still in the game and had threatened the Garnock line on a number of occasions.


The second half was generally similar to the first with Garnock having the majority of possession but they were unable to build periods of pressure primarily due to handling errors caused by the conditions. With 25 minutes gone the home side worked their way into the Lenzie 22 and a strong carry from short range resulted in Ross Brocket breaching the defence to score in the corner. The conversion struck the post 10-0


By this point Garnock were doing most of the attacking however Lenzie remained dangerous. With 7 minutes left Garnock scored their third when a clever kick from scrum-half Adam McGowan was gathered by full-back Rory Walker 2 metres from the line who went over unchallenged. Conversion successful 17-0


The home side were now seeking the bonus point however the restart was unfortunately knocked on in the Garnock 22. The visitors set up camp just short of the line and were eventually able to score in the corner. Conversion missed 17-5


Only a couple of minutes remained and Garnock kicked off short in an attempt to regain possession. The ball was well collected by the Lenzie prop however a jackal in the resulting ruck brought a penalty to the home side just inside the Garnock half . The ball was kicked to touch and Garnock secured the lineout before attacking the Lenzie 22. Unfortunately a knock on resulted in a scrum to Lenzie which they secured and kicked directly to touch to bring an end to the game with the score remaining at 17-5


Both teams deserve credit for trying to play attractive rugby in truly awful conditions.


Next week Garnock travel the short distance to Kilmarnock for what will be a difficult game