Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Secure the 5 Points

By September 25, 2022No Comments

On Saturday we welcomed Cambuslang to Lochshore for our first home West 1 fixture. Cambuslang had won their first two league fixtures and were sure to provide a tough test. Due to injury and unavailability there was a much changed Garnock backline with both half-backs and both wingers being replaced. These changes saw the return of Iain Waterston for the first time in some 10 years.


The match kicked off with Garnock determined to continue the form of the previous week. The early stages saw the Garnock pack on top and most of the play taking place in the Cambuslang half. Following a spell of pressure on the visitors line scrum -half, Tony Woods, spotted a gap and sniped through for the opening score. Conversion missed 5-0


Play continued with Garnock’s pack clearly the stronger and the makeshift backline looking threatening. After 20 minutes neat handling by the backs released Jonny Watson on the wing to score in the corner. Conversion missed 10-0


Cambuslang began to come back into the match and indiscipline by the home side saw the referee award a series of penalties to the visitors. This allowed them to set up camp in the Garnock 22. Forward attacks were repelled before a missed tackle allowed the Cambuslang centre to score. Conversion missed 10-5


The remainder of the half was relatively uneventful and was interspersed with regular penalties awarded against both sides. These infringements prevented either side from applying any significant pressure and the half-time score remained at 10-5


The early stages of the second-half were similar to the first with neither side able to apply any pressure however the Garnock pack were beginning to take control exerting dominance in the loose play and set scrum. Lineouts remained evenly shared. Luke Wynn, Matt Shiells , Lewis McGeachy and Stuart Wilson all regularly made strong charges regularly gaining significant yardage . A lineout outside the Cambuslang 22 saw the pack set up a driving maul and an impressive show of strength took the pack some 25 yards and over the try line with Stuart Wilson getting the touch down . Conversion missed 15 -5


With 20 minutes to go Garnock were in almost total control despite the visitors efforts to get back into the game. Another lineout close to the visitors try line was secured by the home side and a set lineout ploy resulted in Alan Miller securing the bonus point try. Conversion successful 22-5


The closing stages of the game were all Garnock with the home side keen to run the ball whenever possible. Centres Rory Dominy and Ross McCann were to the fore with both regularly breaking the gain line. One such passage of play saw Ross McCann break 30m down field into the Cambuslang 22 . Following a number of quick breakdowns neat handling on a 5m blindside between Ewan Perry, Lewis McGeachy and Rory Dominy gave Rory space to cross the line. Conversion successful 29-5


The final few minutes were relatively uneventful and the referee blew for full time with the score unchanged


This was a good win for the home side with a significantly changed backline . Those who came in to the side or played out of position performed well . Next week the boys travel to Lenzie for what is sure to be a tough game