Club NewsMatch Reports

Garnock Take the 5 Points

By September 16, 2023No Comments

Garnock welcomed visitors Strathmore to Lochshore for what the home side envisaged would be their toughest game yet in National 4.


The matched kicked off with Garnock playing down the slope and with the wind at their backs . The early exchanges were fairly even with both teams trying to run the ball in the pleasant sunshine. With 10 minutes on the clock Garnock had a series of phases in the visitors 22 before the ball was spread to the right hand side for winger Sam Wynn to score his first try in a league fixture. Conversion wide 5-0


The next 15 minutes belonged to Strathmore who built phase after phase in the Garnock 22. To be honest the home side’s problems were over their own making as they were conceding far too many penalties.Stout defence saw Garnock weather the storm and eventually the pressure was released.


Having held out the visitors attacks it was now a determined Garnock side who worked their way downfield. From a midfield penalty Garnock kicked to the corner . From the resulting lineout they set up a driving maul from which Matt Shiells broke free 5 yards out to score. Conversion good.


The remainder of the half was mainly played around midfield however at the end of the half Garnock were reduced to 14 with a yellow card for their scrum-half. Half time 12-0


The Garnock coaches made it clear to their charges at half-time that the penalty count needed to reduce as it was that issue which was allowing the stuffy Strathmore side back into the game.


With 7 minutes of the half gone Garnock were awarded a scrum around the halfway line from which temporary scrum-half Jared Reekie made a break up the blind side breaking the tackle from the wing forward and then the winger before being engulfed by the retreating Strathmore pack. This was still not sufficient to stop the Garnock man who broke free to score a remarkable try. Conversion wide 17-0


From the kick off a loose Garnock exit set saw the visitors being awarded a penalty which they kicked to the corner. They secured the lineout and a number of phases later were able to score in the opposite corner. Conversion missed 17-5


Garnock were then restored to 15 and seemed determined to look for the bonus point try. The lineouts were relatively even however the strong Garnock pack clearly had the upperhand in the scrums from which they were awarded a number of penalties.


At the midpoint of the half the home side had possession in midfield and set up a number of rucks before cleverly switching the ball back to the blindside to Ross Brocket . The big No8 threw a dummy and sliced between two defenders and showing a great turn of pace scorched to the line. Conversion good 24-5


By this stage Garnock were firmly in control of the game and the only access Strathmore gained into Garnock territory was from the boot of their stand-off.


At 70 minutes Garnock were again on the visitors 22 and a neat backline move saw centre Rory Dominy break the line before offloading to the supporting Gareth McCrorie who side-stepped the full back to score. Conversion missed 29-5


The remainder of the game was played almost entirely in the visitors half however despite a number of opportunities Garnock were unable to add to the scoreline before the referee blew for full-time


This was an impressive Garnock performance as Strathmore were clearly a good rugby side.The bonus point win sees Garnock remain at the top of the league.


Next week Garnock make the short trip to face Greenock at Fort Matilda which has not always been a happy hunting ground and Garnock will need to produce a similar level of performance as today


Garnock squad  Shiells, Armstrong, L Wynn, Watson, A Miller, S Wilson, Ramsay-Millar, Brocket, K Walker, McCrorie, Reekie, Dominy, R Walker, S Wynn, Woods  Repl. C Wilson, McGeachy, D Miller, Waterston